The Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technologies at the University of Primorska (UP FAMNIT) is offering fully-funded PhD scholarships at HICUP LAB.
We welcome applications from EU as well as International students who are enthusiastic about working as part of a multidisciplinary team focusing on applied computer science research in the following areas:
- Computational Interactions
- Human-computer Interaction
- Augmented, Mixed and Virtual Reality
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine learning
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
- Pervasive and Ubiquitous computing
- EEG analysis and Brain computer interfaces
The selected candidate will be offered a tailored research project at HICUP LAB, UP FAMNIT.
What does the scholarship include?
The selected candidate will receive a 36-48 month scholarship which includes:
- Monthly payments of 1.544,880 € before tax + expenses
- Tuition fees
- Research equipment and a working desk.
- Yearly budget for other research costs for covering fieldwork and conference attendance.
Candidates should demonstrate outstanding academic potential with preferably a Master’s degree with distinction and need a strong first degree in Computer Science or related subject. Excellent technical ability, programming skills and proficient active and passive English language skills are essential. We seek a candidate with good prototyping skills and an inventive mind for problem solving. Specifically, we are seeking candidates with a very good knowledge in at least one of the areas of software engineering, 3D graphics, artificial intelligence/machine learning, information visualisation, interaction design, computer vision, systems modelling, software development or similar. Applied mathematics or ability to learn such is also desirable.
Besides the regular coursework required for the doctoral study programme (more information available here http://www.famnit.upr.si/en/education/doctoral/computer-science/), the obligations of the selected candidates include 35 hours per week of research activities conducted at the HICUP lab (http://dist.famnit.upr.si/en/HICUP) as well as 5 hours per week of teaching assistant work (e.g. running lab sessions, consulting students, drafting and correcting coursework, etc.). The teaching assistant work is only conducted during term time (32 weeks per year).
The selected candidates will need a proof of fluent English language ability (IELTS — with min score of 6.5, ToEFL iBT — with min score of 93 overall and min 20 in each skill or equivalent).
- Closing date: 6.4.2019
- Shortlisting date: 9.4.2019
- Interview date: 11.4.2019 onwards
Selected candidates will start their studies at the latest on 1st of October 2019 (can start earlier).
The selected candidate will progress annually, dependent on performance (successful progress into the next year of study and a positive evaluation of their work by supervisors). The selected candidate is expected to complete their doctoral studies in a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 years.
How to apply?
Applicants for the scholarship need to include the following documents (if not in English or Slovenian all documents need to be officially translated and provided with documents in the original language):
- A motivational letter (research proposal/personal statement).
- A Curriculum Vitae (personal details, work experience, education and training, language skills, development skills, awards and recognitions, previous research work, publications). Maximum 4 pages.
- Portfolio of previous research and/or development projects and/or DIY prototyping (e.g. mobile apps, web apps, DIY electronics, graphical designs, interface designs, system mockups, DIY prototypes ...)
- A certified copy of any previously completed higher-level education degrees: e.g. bachelor degree, master degree, etc.
- Course transcripts, GPA (grade point average) certificate of exams and tutorials, including explanations of the mark schemes used and, where possible, an indication of their class ranking/position in class.
- Two reference letters (your two referees must be able to comment on your suitability for a research degree level of study, one of them must have been your academic tutor) originally sealed by referees.
- If you will need a visa to study in Slovenia, a copy of the first page of your passport that gives your full name, passport number, etc.
Firstly, applicants should send this information in zip file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case of large files please use file sharing services such as Wetransfer (https://wetransfer.com/).
For further information regarding application, enrolment and other administrative procedures please read: http://www.famnit.upr.si/en/education/enrolment#heading2, contact Student Services http://www.famnit.upr.si/en/education/student-services
or email Matjaž Kljun (email@example.com), Klen Čopič Pucihar (firstname.lastname@example.org), Vida Groznik (email@example.com).
More information about HICUP LAB: http://dist.famnit.upr.si/en/HICUP
More information about our department: http://dist.famnit.upr.si/
Follow us on Twitter: @_mkljun_, @_klen_